Wednesday, November 18, 2009

At this point of LIFE...!!

Well, it might be in the air…!! It was the time when both the roomies were almost vexed with their daily routine at work. WE kept discussing randomly about the work, the work culture, the people, their relationships and so on.

Whenever an American greets you, he generally asks you “How are you doing?” You would just want to reply, “I am fine” and try asking him the same question, “How are you?” for which he would reply, “I am good”. I wonder what else they expect when we just say we are fine, because I don’t find them satisfied with the answer. I work at a snack bar. So, I generally ask the customers “Do you want anything else?” for which they answer, “I am good, thank you”. Now I translate that into my mother tongue which says “nenu bagunnanu”. Well, they are being courteous, but I find it amusing. At the back of my mind, I think “Nee… who asked you if you are good or bad, say yes or no”. Excuse me! I couldn’t have laughed in front of my customers because their answers amuse me. I managed to smile.

And then WE started discussing about why these people “seem” so mechanical, so vapid, so discriminating (should not be the word, but I had to use) etc. Everyone calls the other person by his/her name irrespective of their age. In India, we use Aunt, Uncle etc to address the elders. And here, I call a 40 year old lady by her name. I find it difficult man! My employer is near to 45 and I call her “Dawn” (that is her name).

WE then talked about our families. It has been a long time since we sat in the living room and had a chat with our mom or heard our dad’s voice over phone, since we searched for our mom as soon as we came home and told her everything that happened on that day or told dad about a compliment from the teacher. Yes, we got nostalgic and tears just touched the edge of the eye and went right back.

And then, WE had come to that point of the discussion where we found it difficult to accept what we said because that was new to us. It is the requirement of someone we love, to ask us how the day was, if we ate, if we had a sleep, how much we scored in an exam, what our friends are doing, what our future plans are and so on. The need of someone, to hold our hand and walk along, to pat us when we are sad, to ask us to sleep when we are tiring ourselves beyond the break point, to share every moment with us, be it happy or sad and to just hug us when in need of confidence. It is the requirement of someone who can make every moment special just by being there for us, who can understand us, who can make us smile even when we are sad, where silence is comfortable, where the mere presence of someone can make our day, the one who can make our life meaningful, who leaves us better than what we were before we met him etc :).

Not that we are weak. It is only that the strengths differ. Prior to this, we must have shared this so called burden with our parents sub consciously. But consciously, we are unable to lift the same alone. WE were unable to accept the feeling that we need someone, the thought of which, made us feel guilty. But then when we tend to fight the thought, we tend to make it worse. Perhaps, the only solution is to accept these feelings and get along with this so called real illusion. I just happen to write this blog because these were feelings I never knew before and that they amused and fascinated me. And yes, it is in the air…!!

10 comments:

Pavan said...

had to blog it I guess....somethings don't just stay put.....working at a snack bar huh, should be interesting...

PS: would increasing the font not be better?

RUBY.. said...

@ Pavan.. I always mess up with the fonts ... I guess I need to learn formatting techniques in here..

yeah .. it is interesting .. !!

RUBY.. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Something happening in LIFE.. yes.. its true...Good Work!! But to gain something, you have to loose soemthing! Getting on with life learning something everyday is what we can do with the support of loved oneS.. Keep Going.. All the best dear!

RUBY.. said...

@vin: Thank you ..!! :) That was very supportive!

Placid said...

Hi! A nice post and a nice blog too! Looks like you are getting used to new cultures and new people. Nice nice! Learning new things can be fun! [:D] And regarding the 'nostalgia' thing, you will get over it soon. B'cause, 'change' is the only permanent thing in life!! [:D]

RUBY.. said...

@Placid
Thank you ... I liked the statement .. Change is the only permanent thing in life..!! :)

LuckyMurari said...

I just wonder why can't human mind be devoid of the emotions. The more the man wishes for the change in life, the more he becomes emotional. After all, u kno that u r going to leave that place for sure, but still after u come back to India, I am sure u will be missing the place. You have gone to that place knowing that staying there is inevitable- still u feel bad. May be its embedded in human brains ??

RUBY.. said...

@Murari: The human mind always wants what it can't get ... or what it is far from ... It does things knowing that they should not be done...
So this is one of them..

Arrchana Raj said...

Wow.. Actually I liked the 5th para(last but one!) Exactly thats how you feel when you are staying away from home!